"Some days when I am able to pick a pen and write, I know I have been blessed."~Savita

Welcome to my blog. In my quiet hours I seek to touch the depth of myself and my surroundings. My thoughts that take form of poetry are just the scratches on the surface of life as it reveals to me. Wrapped in a delicate veil of symbolism and ambiguity these verses and expressions also fulfill my desire to share a bit of my self with others. I hope reading them would be as enjoyable for you as writing them has been for me.

Sunday, November 8, 2020

A Tribute To Selma

Today America commemorates  
The historic 50th anniversary of Selma,
A peaceful march for voting rights
Turned bloody with police brutality.
 
An emotion of gratitude and respect
Arises in my heart for all those, 
Who rise with courage against injustice, 
Paving and guiding the way for fairness,
Marching, struggling, and uniting us all
In an innate, common bond for the 
Triumph of the shared human spirit.

Whether it is Selma for voting rights, 
Jalianwalla Bag for national freedom,
Or Sharpeville rising against apartheid laws,
We owe our freedom and liberty
To those fearless souls, who without
Any stick or gun, shield or sword
Stood with determination in their hearts
To bridge the gap between 
Freedom and slavery by 
The sheer strength of their will and
The righteousness of their thoughts.

The power of their soul embedded
In their character, so brave and willing 
To lay down their lives to inspire others,
To rise against injustice and cruel humiliation
Of fellow human beings all around the world.
The face of evil hidden in each and every place 
Crushed each and every time again and again 
By their most humble yet courageous efforts. 
Each of us owes our respect and gratitude
To those who died so we could live, 
Who suffered so we could be relieved of suffering,
Whose vision for us was to have
What they were deprived off,
Who fought so we could taste the fruit
Of liberty so forbidden to them.

Let those, who sacrificed be never forgotten,
Never be away from our thoughts.
Let their vision of the future inspire us all
Let the light of freedom shine upon us all.

 Note: This morning when we watched on the news Channel clips of Selma's 50th anniversary I and my husband talked about how we had come to this country just a few years later. Over time we have created a bond here with history. At the same time, we remember the struggle of our own country that happened not too far back. All my thoughts of gratitude came together inspiring me to write this tribute. 

Savita Tyagi

3.7. 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment