"Some days when I am able to pick a pen and write, I know I have been blessed."~Savita

Welcome to my blog. In my quiet hours I seek to touch the depth of myself and my surroundings. My thoughts that take form of poetry are just the scratches on the surface of life as it reveals to me. Wrapped in a delicate veil of symbolism and ambiguity these verses and expressions also fulfill my desire to share a bit of my self with others. I hope reading them would be as enjoyable for you as writing them has been for me.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Life On An Island

 
Cruising along the streets of island
I take in the flavors of its busy life.
Cars move along the roundabouts continuously
The smooth circular motion becomes violent and noisy with some car moving at fast speed.
The small Island is so busy and packed with human cargo
The rush of traffic, the haste of human life,
The sound of construction vehicles,
The laborers working under fierce sun with their heads covered
It is mind boggling and exhaustive to be part of it.
To detach my self I take my eyes away to look at the calm blue waters of gulf
It is all around the island tranquil and peaceful
Never bothered by human activity going around its shore.
Away from the busy world life is quiet with in the walls of my house.
Not that it is a solace to be alone for a length of time.
Peaceful moments last only for few days or few hours.
The rest less mind starts to wander again.
I roam around the house mumbling the old Gazal
Lagtaa nahi hai dil mera Ujerey Dayar mein
Meaning “my heart is not content in this desolate place”
Or “Urr gaye pannchi reh gai Dalli”
Meaning “ birds flew away leaving the branch of the tree.”
The tree bears every thing ever so quietly
Providing its shade to travelers.
Some time I wish we could be like trees
Existing but not demanding or inquiring for a reason.
All the reasons for existence one by one become obsolete till we find no more
Dual voices of mind quarreling with in defy every logic and reasoning
And eventually fall in deep silence leaving me even more alone and restless.
As I sit in solitude some thing strange happens
A tiny bird flies from the lamppost
A cat comes from behind the fern pot where it was resting away from sun’s heat
Sky-high date trees behind the compound wall sway in gentle desert wind.
Hot and dusty evening gives way to cooler night.
The harsh sound of traffic dies down
The full moon rises just above the neighbor’s roof.
Here it looks so much closer to earth then I have seen anywhere else.
Little stars send their silver beams upon my face
“Scottie beam me up” I smile and answer the call of stars.
All my agitations recoil and drain in tranquil desert atmosphere
 And leave me to live and rejoice the moment as it is.
From my Bahrain diary
 

No comments:

Post a Comment