"Some days when I am able to pick a pen and write, I know I have been blessed."~Savita

Welcome to my blog. In my quiet hours I seek to touch the depth of myself and my surroundings. My thoughts that take form of poetry are just the scratches on the surface of life as it reveals to me. Wrapped in a delicate veil of symbolism and ambiguity these verses and expressions also fulfill my desire to share a bit of my self with others. I hope reading them would be as enjoyable for you as writing them has been for me.

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Contemplations on OUM

Part 1

For some time I have been reading the Chandogya Upanishad. Its simple stories contain the wealth of spiritual wisdom. With some concentrated effort and meditation they become very effective and uplifting in not only bringing about spiritual revelations but also the aesthetic pleasures associated with these beautiful verses. Going deeper in our thoughts with the series of essences expressed in these verses is the kind of Upāsanā or meditation is what I think is recommended when we read these ancient stories.

After reading half way through I decided to go back to first two verses dealing with OUM. To my surprise there was so much I had overlooked earlier. The more I understood the more I was able to appreciate this simple and magnificent three letter word.

The first verse describes the word OUM as the divine symbol of Supreme reality.

The second verse describes it as the essence of manifested world and how this symbol has its supreme place in the process of creation.

I read the two verses again and again. My attention was drawn to four Sanskrit words. Learning about these four Sanskrit words took a whole new direction in understanding and appreciating what the word OUM and meditating upon it really means.

Some contemplation and research opened my understanding and I was able to derive much more pleasure from these verses.

The four Sanskrit words:

1- Udgitha- The song that uplifts you. Part of Sama Veda songs are called Udgitha. These songs are considered of highest spiritual essence, that brings one closer to the divine.

2- Udgāyati is the singer of songs.

3- Upāsanā- Though Upāsanā is translated as meditation, it is much more comprehensive in its nature. It is prayer, meditation and growing mental identification with the object of your adoration. An object that helps you develop your emotions of love and beauty. To be able to appreciate the sublime and aesthetic aspect of life improves and affects one’s external quality of life.

4- Rasa is translated as the Taste or the Essence of any object.

Rasa can best be understood as aesthetic pleasure, brought about by some external objects. In spiritual singing, in religious rituals and also in music, dance, drama etc. these Rasa bring aesthetic pleasure.

There are eight basic Rasa. The 9th Rasa Shanti was added to make Nauras (nine Rasa)

Each Rasa evokes a different emotion.

Rasa refers to the emotional undertones or essence that the author has infused into the work and that is enjoyed by the “sensitive spectator” or sahidaya, literally one “with heart,” who can relate to the work emotionally and without being detached from it.

Three stages in experiencing the Rasa:

1- Gati- movement of an emotion created by laya (rhythm)

2- Parāyan- Continuous upholding of that movement. Sometime by internal japa or external reading and chanting.

3- Avasthamba- Establishing or merging oneself completely in that emotion to derive aesthetic and spiritual pleasure.

Next time when you chant the word OUM think and contemplate of all these things. Or if you sit in Pooja adoring and anointing your favorite Murti of Bhagvanji, or in the world outside, admiring a flower, a raindrop, a soft breeze, the mountain snow or the ocean waves, think of their underlying spiritual essence and aesthetic beauty that make your life beautiful.

Savita Tyagi

No comments:

Post a Comment